We are extremely pleased and honored to have had the opportunity to work on one of the most significant complexes protected by law and categorized as an immovable cultural asset of exceptional importance.
Namely, the “Guard House”is one of the most valuable buildings of the Topčider Military Complex (“Guard Complex”) in Belgrade, in terms of culture, history and architecture, and this entire area, together with numerous other buildings and monuments, was declared a spatial cultural property “Topčider”.
The building of the “Guard House” was erected in 1925 on the slope towards “Rakovica” road as part of the King’s Guard Complex, which was spatially shaped after the Second World War, most likely according to the project of an unknown author, although some researchers attribute it to the Russian architects Vinogradov and Lukomski.
Previous research works included an examination of the condition of the sculptures at the Guard House, which are located on the facades of the building, and then a proposal was made for their rehabilitation and replacement. In this sense, detailed technical documentation of all sculptures, nine of them in total, was prepared, as well as degradation mapping with the professional help of biologists in order to register the plants, fungi and microorganisms present, while static rehabilitation and verification, as well as material testing, was entrusted to civil engineers.
The permanent team of DE Architecture worked on the project with the help of excellent experts, our external collaborators, and we also owe a great deal of gratitude to the experts of the Republic Institute for the Protection of Cultural Monuments for their help in collecting data.